Acquisition and storage of biological material and clinical data
The Tumorbank Basel Foundation has acquired
- Data about more than 10’000 breast cancer patients
- Data comprise clinical and pathological (histology & IHC) characteristics and biochemical (continuous quantified protein expression levels) features, which are available for almost all samples as well as clinical follow-ups now available for more than 2’000 patients
- The RNA expression level of 65 genes has been assessed in >800 samples by Real-Time PCR (317 retrospectively in cases with follow-up, the remaining on a routine basis, prospectively since 2004)
- Ca. 6’000 fresh frozen tissue samples of breast cancer patients
- Ca. 9’000 particulate fractions (cytosol / membrane) of all samples analyzed
- Ca. 1’000 paired non-malignant adjacent tissue material samples
- More than 1’000 extracted RNA samples of good quality
- Serum and plasma collection from patients has been started since 2005
The Tumorbank Basel Foundation is collaborating with several pathology institutes allowing to perform studies correlating results obtained from fresh frozen and paired paraffin embedded tissue samples.
The Tumorbank Basel Foundation has started a prostate carcinoma project in Collaboration with the ZeTuP (www.zetup.ch) and pathology institute of St. Gallen.
Fresh frozen samples of more than 150 prostate carcinoma patients have been collected and are under investigation.